Let’s talk SLEEP

IMG_1294

 

I get on average 8-9 hours of sleep (mostly interrupted).  I just don’t mess around.  Does it make me an old lady? Maybe.  Does it make me boring? I don’t know.  But I just don’t screw around with getting enough sleep – or at least making my best effort to get enough sleep.  I simply adore getting on fresh comfortable PJ’s, taking out my contacts, wiping my face with a crisp face cloth and applying a light and airy moisturizer.  I love crawling underneath the covers to cool sheets and getting all snuggly.  I love winding down while looking through my phone and catching up with Twitter, Facebook and Instagram updates from the day.  I love when my eyes get too heavy, I set my alarm and close my eyes and drift effortlessly to sleep. It’s one of my simple pleasures of life.  Some people enjoy a night out with drinks, I enjoy a night in catching some ZZZzzZz’s. 

Ever since I became a mother, sleep hasn’t been easy.  He obviously has his good nights and bad nights but going to be around 830/9 still leaves me so, so very tired and it’s starting to bum me out.  While I love getting my Z’s I do occasionally love staying up late, watching a movie, reading, perusing the internet etc.  But I just cant seem to enjoy them anymore because of the anxiety of him waking up sporadically throughout the night and finally waking up for the day anywhere between 5:30 AM to 6:15 AM.  That is before the Sun people. 

So my day usually goes like this – V waking up a couple times during the night 95% of the time he can put himself down, but I am usually wide awake when he wakes up crying.  He is up at let’s say 6:00 AM.  I feed him, play with him until I head off to work.  I go to work and I freakin’ work… I mean traveling to different branches and meetings and etc.  When I get home (530 pm) I usually put on a meal, help with the baby, clean up, play with V, catch up with a little TV until we start his night time routine around 7:30 PM.  This is about a half hour long with a bath, bottle and cereal.  Once we are done, it’s like 8:00.  By then I am just pooped.  The thought of having to wake up and repeat with minimal sleep is daunting, so I usually just crawl into bed and I am out by 9:00 (if not earlier).  Sigh. 

What I am trying to get at is, I have a love-hate relationship with my NEED for sleep.  It baffles me when I see/hear/read about people with children and a job and hobbies and an active social calendar who just don’t need a lot of sleep.  HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN?! TEACH ME YOUR SECRETS! I tip my hat to them, because I am just NOT one of those people, I wish I were.  So until I unlock the secret of functioning on little sleep while being insanely productive and patient, I’ll go take my contacts out and crawl into bed and catch up on my ZZzzZ’s.

No comments